Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN is the perfect definition of one-of-a-kind. Everything about him is unique and appealing. His personality goes beyond CV and profile. He is exceptionally exceptional. His life story changes lives.
One surprising thing about him is his ability to convert hatred into love. If you want to hate him, never agree to see him or hear him speak. For once you meet him, he will instantly transform your hatred into love with his kindness and tender heart. And you will be forever grateful.
Try typing “Arthur Obi Okafor” on Google. The moment you type “Arthur Obi… ” the search engine will complete his name for you. People always read about him in order to improve their lives.
In the paragraphs ahead, you will learn all you need to know about him. All you have to do is read.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN is a core litigation lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria. He was born on the 18th day of July, 1965. He hails from the family of late Chief Humphrey Orizu Okafor of Abatete in Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State.
He attended Premier Primary School, now All Saints’ Primary School, Onitsha, Ogbaru Boys Secondary School and St. Joseph’s Secondary School all in Anambra State. He obtained his West African School Certificate in1981.
He obtained an Ordinary Certificate in Business Administration from School of Accountancy and Business Studies, Uyo, Cross River State in 1984.
He studied law and obtained a Bachelor of Laws degree in from University of Calabar, 1990. He was called to the Nigerian Bar as a Barrister and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Nigeria in 1991.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN is a protege of Late Chief Dr. Chimezie Ikeazor SAN, OON, the founder of Legal Aid Scheme for the Poor in Nigeria. He learned from him. He began his law practice in 1992 at the legal Colossus’s Law Firm, Ire village, Obosi, Anambra State which is now located at House 56, 41 Crescent Gwarimpa Estate II, Abuja.
Under the tutelage of Chief Ikeazor, SAN, he was exposed to the best of litigation, practice and procedure in diverse aspect of Nigerian Law. He participated in some of the most-celebrated cases in our law reports. Cases like Chinemelu v. C O P (1995) 4 NWLR (Part 390) 467 at 484 and Anatogu v. Iweka II (1995) 8 NWLR (pt. 415) 547 are some of them.
Within a very short period of time, Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN rose to become a Personal Assistant to Chief Ikeazor. He was given additional responsibilities which in turn exposed him to different facets of legal practice.
He established his law firm, Arthur Obi Okafor & Associates, with its first office at 15 O’ Connor Street, American Quarters, Onitsha, Anambra State in 1995. He has later set up other offices in Anambra and Delta States.
The law firm of Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN has produced lawyers who are now celebrated members of higher and lower Bench. He opened the doors of his firms to all lawyers, both young and seniors, who are ready to learn. He has made it a veritable platform for pupilage.
At present he has over eighteen (18) lawyers in his law firm, a Chief Administrator and four other support staff.
He is deeply into superior courts litigation, both civil and criminal. With a large clientele from different walks of life, he has concluded many high profile cases. His areas of interest include:
1) election petitions;
2) land matters;
4) criminal litigation generally;
5) company proceedings, among others.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN is a litigation lawyer par excellence. Below are some of the celebrated cases of the Supreme Court that he fully participated in:
1) Onuorah v. K.R.P.C Ltd. (2005) 6 NWLR (Pt. 921) 393;
2) Balonwu v. Governor of Anambra State 2009 18 NWLR 13 (Pt. 1172);
3) Peter Obi v. INEC (2007) 11 NWLR (Pt. 1046) 565;
4) Edward Nkwegu Okereke v. Nweze David Umahi & Ors. ALL FWLR 833;
5) Ikechukwu v. Nwoye (2015)3 NWLR (Pt. 1046) 565;
6) Ilobachie v. Ilobachie (2005)13 NWLR (Pt.943)227;
7) Odedo v. I.N.E.C (2008) 17 NWLR (Pt. 1117)554; and
8) Ejike Oguebego &Anor v. P.D.P & Ors (2016) 4 NWLR (PT 1503) 446.
It will please you to know that, Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN has, apart from litigation, delivered scholarly papers on different areas for the development of legal profession in Nigeria. He has presented papers on topical issues at the Annual General Conferences of the Nigerian Bar Association, as well as other different fora of the Bar across the country.
Below are some of the papers he has intensively and extensively treated:
1) Economic Recession in Nigeria: The Legal Practitioners Survival Strategy;
2) Understanding Appellate Practice in Nigeria;
3) Enhancing Access to Justice Through Alternative Dispute Resolution;
4) Enhancing Consumer Rights of Protection Under the Law, Vis-a- Vis The Impunity of Bills and Charges by Power, Network and Energy Service Providers in Nigeria, Is the Consumer Helpless?
5) Opportunity and Challenges in the Gaming Industry;
6) Strengthening the Nigerian Legal Framework for the Effective Prosecution of Gender Based Violence;
7) 21st Century Legal Profession and Its Social Responsibility Paradigm; and
8) The Bar: Professional Ethics in Decline?
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. He is an active member of the Nigerian Bar Association, International Bar Association and other professional Associations.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor, SAN has at various times held the following positions:
1) Member Legal Profession Regulations Review Committee;
2) Chairman Resource Committee of the NBA;
3) Chairman, NBA Disciplinary Committee for Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi States;
4) Member, Land Committee of Nigerian Bar Association, Onitsha Branch;
5) President, University of Calabar Alumni Association, Onitsha Chapter;
6) NBA Representative on NEITI Civil Society Steering Committee;
7) Chairman NBA Legislative Advocacy;
8) Member, Defunct Idemili Local Govt. Town Planning Authority, Anambra State; and
9) Member, Idemili South Local Government Town Planning Authority, Anambra State;
He is currently:
1) Chairman, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Asaba;
2) Chairman, Administration of Criminal Justice Reform Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association;
3) Assessor, Delta State Multi-Door Court House for listing Arbitrators, Mediators and Conciliators; and
4) Chairman, Royal Court Academy and Royal Court Football Academy.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor SAN, is a recipient oto many awards. His life does not, however, begin and end in litigation and paper presentation. He is a lover of sports. He has and used it as an instrument in building unity in diversity across the country.
He solely sponsored the Eastern Bar Forum Unity Football Tournament which attracted participation from the various branches of the states that make up the forum. As started earlier, he is the Chairman of Royal Court Academy and Royal Court Football Academy.
Chief Arthur Obi Okafor became a Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2010. He is happily married to Mrs. Chioma Okafor (nee Ikeazor), who is also a lawyer and the union is blessed with five Children.
There are countless people out there who want to be motivated by stories like this. Do not keep it to yourself. Share.
Sani Ammani, Esq; writes from Kano State.